Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Schokolade & the Zombie Crutch Fire Dance

First off, I finally got pictures of the floating man!! During some solo sailing I made Sam sail us over to the far side of the lake where the guy chills. After performing a stunning stopping maneuver, we had a lil' photoshoot. All photo credit goes to Samuel Martinez, sailing buddy extraordinaire...


So now we see how I got a little confused, yes?



The bird scheisse wasn't so apparent from a distance...



It is possible that I stole this from Samuel's Fb... danke Sam :) This was from when we were sailing a few weeks ago.

So it has been about two weeks since my last post and there are two main things that I want to report about: chocolate covered fruit and the meadow!

a.) Chocolate fruit: Now, the question might come up of why chocolate fruit merits coverage in the blog. It's because it's DEEEEELIIIIIIIIICIIIOOOOOOUSSSSSSS. So, the first time I tasted this German miracle was when I was at what I like to call the German version of the New York State Fair, and by that I mean junk food stands, rides, and creepy carnies. [Note; Carnies are equally strange all over the world, that's a fact]. It's called the Dom, and I went the other week with my host bro Samir and Sumit, the Indian roomer. We were walking around looking at the food and at first I was eyeing a candy apple, but thanks to baby Jesus, I made a life changing decision and chose the chocolate covered mixed-fruit stick. If nothing more ever comes out of this exchange to Germany, I will not complain. That's how good it was. We're talking kiwi, grapes, strawberries, pineapple, banana, and apple covered in world class German chocolate.

(picture from Google Images) THIS IS WHERE IT'S AT. These are strictly strawberry and banana sticks, but they'll do.

The next week, which was last week, I was on my way to school one morning and I noticed lots of little tents being set up, which turned into a fair along the lake. Lo and behold... MORE CHOCOLATE FRUIT! Not only was this a fair, but it was a three day fair, and yes, that means three days of chocolate covered fruit! This is what one of the fruit stands looks like:



They also sell cookie hearts, which can be seen hanging up, that say "Ich Liebe Dich," or "I love you." ...cute. Two Germans demonstrated the proper use of these to me, which is as a necklace. Actually I don't know if that's true, but I saw two people wearing them so one can only assume.
Anyways, the rest of the festival was nice, and I went with some Colón Language School friends at night, and there were fireworks and the whole shebang.
The great thing about Colón is that everybody is from all over the world, and also everybody is slightly crazy since we're all attempting to learn German. WHAT A FRUSTRATING LANGUAGE holy momma. But the point is, I've met some great people, and I've had a good time going out with my current friends (I only say current because people tend to leave after a month). I've met only one other American here, HEY LANCE! if you're reading this, and also Rebecca from England/Spain, and Stéf and Fabien from Switzerland. In my first group of friends I had a bunch of people from Spain, and also Edward/Eddy/Eduardo, from Australia, who imparted on me one of the best sayings I've heard yet: "A German joke is no laughing matter." HAHAHAHA. I can't explain how much I love that. So far that is soo true haha. Today I was at lunch with some Colón people and our German teacher and he tried a joke out on us... well, it was actually morbid. Crickets were chirping until I pulled out Edward's line and everybody was like "Yeahhh true hahaha." Ed was really full of great lines: "London's nice, but it has too many English."
Anyways, us current people went out to the Altona Fest last weekend to see the "fire show." We ended up seeing a rather disturbing interpretive dance show, which involved a little bit of fire at the end. I was expecting a fire dance such as the ones at the Blue Parrot in Mexico, for example, but instead we got this:



What is it? I wish I knew. At first I thought they were supposed to be zombies, but then they started to dance with crutches. Soooo. HOWEVER we diddd find CHURROS!!! I mean, they weren't exactly Spanish quality, but who can complain when you find churros in Germany? Not I.

Fabien eating some churros.
The "Altona Fest," though, did not qualify in my book as a true, legitimate German festival, as I found no trace of chocolate fruit.

b.) The Meadow: Two Sundays ago I was bored so I decided to go out for a run. My host mom had told me that there was "nature" about five minutes from my house, so I was like hey, I'ma go find me some nature! SECOND BEST CHOICE AFTER AVOIDING THE CANDY APPLE. What I found after a bit of running in the wrong direction was a B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. nature preserve that is now one of my favorite places in Germany. After the chocolate fruit festivals, that is. I was running through a path in the woods when all of the sudden it opened up into this huge rolling meadow full of some sort of purple-flower plant. I'll stop trying to explain, picture time:




So I kept running around like hey, this is sweet, and I finally got to this one part that opened up into a mini valley (top picture) and I found a tree stump and sat there for a good hour just relaxing in the sun and listening to some Dave Matthews. Needless to say, that was one of the best hours that I've spent here, and I've gone back a few times when the weather has been good.

Lastly, I can't leave out these pictures, which gave me a good laugh and at the same time may possibly explain why some Europeans look down on Americans:


Is that an American riding (or, attempting to) a mechanical bull? Why, yes it is! Way to rep, bud!

No comments:

Post a Comment